Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Etsy Around the World: Early Bird Creations

This week we're lucky enough to host another artist from Australia who shows off her jewelry and was kind enough to share a couple pictures of her favorite place to visit in her hometown...



Who are you?
My name is Kylie and my shop is Early Bird Creations

Why did you choose your shop/company name?
About a year ago I decided that I really wanted to make my business work. I wanted it to be a business rather than a hobby. I was working full time and the only time I could devote to my business was early in the morning. Like...really early! A typical day for me is to be rudly awakened by the alarm clock at 5am. I hit the snooze button but not for long. I then have 3 hours straight where the house is quiet, there is nothing else to do but create...or check the Etsy forums...lol! So that's how the name 'Early Bird' came about.

Where are you located?
I live in Forster, NSW, Australia. It is a coastal town, about 4 hours north of Sydney. Beautiful beaches and gorgeous lakes (I should work for the tourism association! lol!)

If you have you ever visited North Carolina, what do you remember about your trip?
I'm so sorry but I've never been to the US. It's on my To-Do list!

What do you create?
I make funky necklaces and other accessories using resin beads. My beads are very special as they are made by cottage industry in Java, Indonesia. I get a lot of satisfaction knowing that the families making the beads can work from home rather than in some big horrible factory.
What is your favorite place to visit in your hometown?
My most favourite place to visit is the Green Cathedral. Its an open air church in a rainforest about 10 minutes drive from home. My husband and I were married there about 4 years ago but it's also a gorgeous place to come and experience a lot of calm.

How do you envision your creations being used by your customers?
I have had lots of lovely reports back from customers about how their necklaces and accessories have been received whenever they wear them. And I know when I where one of my resin necklaces I always get lovely comments from people. My necklaces are slightly unusual and so not everyone is going to like them. But there is something about those resin beads that just makes people smile. They are just so much fun!

What is your favorite place to sell your items?
Etsy is my number one favourite place to sell but I also have a couple of local boutique shops that have taken them on as well. Etsy is a lot more fun because I feel like I am at the coal-face with my shop. Any compliments or orders are received by me personally, not through a shop owner of a boutique I am selling through.

What types of things do you do to turn first time buyers into repeat clients?
Customer service is just so important and so one of the first things I do is to send an email or Etsy convo thanking them for their purchase (I use their first name in this email - so important!). I then take a lot of care when packaging my items. I use acid-free tissue paper and a gorgeous white box. I try to envisage myself as the customer opening this package for the first time and what would just knock my socks off. I don't believe in giving free gifts to every buyer and I don't think it's expected of buyers either. For repeat customers, however, I often through in a gift voucher for 20%. This has had 100% success rate in making repeat buyers come back once again! My general rule with customer service is to treat others how you would wish to be treated. Actually this is pretty much a life rule isn't it!

--If you also enjoy making jewelry, be sure to check out her supply store also!

5 comments:

  1. Such pretty jewelery, might have to get a couple necklaces to wear to summer parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feature and what stunning and unique jewelry !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great feature, I really enjoyed reading it! Love the colourful jewellery : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely place! No wonder you've never been to the US - why would you ever want to leave there? :)

    ReplyDelete