Monday, March 17, 2008

Featured Seller: KatieCarolinaDesigns

Who are you?
Katie Bourke aka Katie Carolina Designs

Why did you choose your shop/company name?
When I was in college I had a friend that lived in New Jersey. When I would call his house his mom/dad/sister would tell him that Katie from Carolina was on the phone. That quickly evolved into the nickname "Katie Carolina" and it stuck.


Where are you located?
Raleigh

What do you create?
I make handmade beaded jewelry. I have recently branched out into making fabric buttons to use as jewelry and hair accessories. I also enlisted the help of my newly retired Dad to help make my "Sassy & Classy Earring Frames".

What is your favorite place to sell your items?
I enjoy selling at outdoor craft shows. I love to be outside and I love craft shows so mixing the two is my Mecca!


What online activities have brought you the most noticeable success?
I notice an increase in sales when I spend at least an hour a day in Etsy's forums and chat rooms. By getting to know people and chatting with other etsy sellers I am able to get my name out. I also notice an increase in sales when I participate in BNR's. It is a great way to get exposure and pick up more hearts!

How do you acquire new clients?
I send out an email quarterly to everyone in my address book. I try to time the email with a holiday. The email invites everyone to check out the new additions to my store. I send the email to everyone that I have an address for, even those that I have only met a few times.


A great example of how this worked: I was price shopping for new copiers for my "real" job. I had met with the sales representative several times and mentioned in passing that I make jewelry. I added her to my email list and shortly after sending out the email she called me with an order!

What do you do when you are not creating?
When I am not making jewelry I love to play with my kitten, Jax. I also love to kayak. It is an amazing way to relax and enjoy the outdoors.


--If you'd like to read more from Katie, check out her blog.

2 comments:

  1. Very, very nice feature and I enjoyed reading it! I the frames her dad makes - what a great way to display items at a show! Marla

    ReplyDelete