Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Etsy Around the World: Something Whimsical

This week's featured Etsy seller is from the North, but still in the United States. These gadgets caught my eye while browsing Etsy one evening. I was impressed by them and the story behind them!

Who are you?
My name is Vincent Corona-Evans. I'm a freelance Illustrator and have been one for over 12 years now. Most of my art up to this point has been tailored to my clients and their needs. My new Etsy shop,
Something Whimsical, allows me to go in a different direction and have fun doing it.

Where are you located?
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

What do you create?
I create illustrations for editorials, portraits, advertisements, textbooks, and really anything that comes up. Recently, I’ve started creating small metal people made from nuts, bolts, washers, and wing nuts that I make into necklaces. I’ve named them BOBs in honor of my father who used to make me robots when I was a kid out of pretty much anything metal he came across.

When did you start creating?
I became interested in art at a very young age. My father hand drew a book of dinosaurs for me and I couldn't believe how cool it was. He also used to make me robots out of pipes and tubing and nuts and bolts. He was a very creative plumber. My mom gave me a lot of encouragement as well even though I’d make flip books out of every pad or checkbook she owned.

What inspires you?
I draw my inspiration from the people and places and things around me. Something Whimsical, for me, is from my childhood. It’s my inner kid having fun.

Where do you create?
I have a home office for my freelance illustration, so anything creative is built or drawn or painted in there. I use my garage for the parts of BOBs that need welding, but I like to have music playing through the computer or a DVD running in the background, so my office is my favorite place. Lately, I’ve been going back to the Lord of the Rings movies, but usually I’m playing something from Pixar.

What is the most time consuming part of your craft/art?
As far as BOBs go, it’s getting the stickers just right. Since he’s supposed to look old and worn, I like to take my time to age him properly. He deserves it. As far as my illustrations, the entire premise behind my Etsy shop was to keep it simple and fun but I still would have to say coming up with the initial idea for each piece seems to take the most time.

How do you acquire new clients?
I have my own
website that I promote through mailers and networking with other artists. I’ve also been advertising in the Directory of Illustration for several years now. In addition to the book that comes out each year, they offer an online portfolio where potential clients can review my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment