Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Etsy Around the World: Lieblingartcrafts

This week's featured Etsy seller is fairly new to Etsy, but I think you'll quickly notice why she's going to be a very successful one... .



Who are you?
I’m Jessica and my shop name is Liebling

Why did you choose your shop/company name?
I’m about 99 percent German, and I get my craftiness from my Mom’s side of the family. My grandma was born in Germany, so I wanted my history and the name to be tied together. Liebling is the German word for “darling” or “favorite”, the perfect name for my shop in that I want people to find their next favorite piece in my collection.

Where are you located?
Minneapolis, MN

What do you create?
Eclectic handcrafted jewelry, mostly contemporary designs with some vintage inspired and funky sprinkled in.
What is your favorite place to visit in your town?
I live right by Lake Harriet, and love going walking and biking around it as well as visiting the bandshell for outdoor concerts and ice cream in the summer. There’s also this strange little “Lake Harriet Elf” house that we love to visit.

If you have you ever visited North Carolina, what do you remember about your trip?
I haven’t but would love to! I’m fascinated with the Civil War historic sites, I’d visit those first.

Why did you choose your medium?
It just sort of happened. I’ve always had my hands in everything, and since I can remember I’ve been handcrafting various things for my friends and family for gifts at Christmas and holidays. I took a beading class on a whim with a friend some years ago and I’ve been hooked ever since! I love being able to bring the ideas in my head to life, or to be able to make a piece inspired by an article of clothing I own. I wear some quirky things, and the jewelry I found in shops was usually inadequate for matching up with the vision I have in my head.

What inspires you?
It depends on my mood. Right now, I’m feeling inspired by contemporary (Frank Lloyd Wright in particular) stained glass, and the geometry involved. Also natural materials, I love working with stones and wood. They just come together beautifully and organically. Photography, music and artwork often inspire me the most.

Where do you create?
I have a little desk at home that wears many hats, in our sunroom. There’s lots of great natural light and it’s a perfect room for photography and creating pieces. I call it my “studio” but I use the same room to do Pilates, watch movies and do homework when I’m in school so it’s really a multipurpose room.
What do you do when you are not creating?
You name it. I like to bike, hike, camp, read, go to concerts, movies, listen to music, and try out other mediums of crafting, play the Xbox with the hubby. I try to take on every new experience that comes my way!

--If you'd like to read more about Jessica's life and work, check out her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment