Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Etsy Around the World: Sammyb

This week's featured Etsy seller is from another corner of the world! I hope that you enjoy the creations from this bright and cheery shop located in Australia....



Who are you?
My name is Samantha Balls and my shop name is Sammyb.

Why did you choose your shop name?
My fiancé decided upon the shop name for me, he calls me Sammy all the time and with my surname beginning with a B it kind of stuck!

Where are you located?
I am living on the Gold Coast in Brisbane, Australia but I’m originally from England. I have been residing in Australia for about 6 years now.
What do you create?
I create soft toys, Dolls, Taggy Cats, Elephants, Giraffe’s and hopefully soon hanging mobiles. And anything to do with sewing!
What do you do when you are not creating?
Humm, well I have a 11 month old baby boy so its more of when I’m not looking after him I’m creating! And when I’m not doing either of those I love to get into the kitchen and cook.

What is your favorite place to visit in your hometown?
Well I have 2 home towns now (1 in England and the other Australia) so my favorite in England would be Colchester Castle Park, I just love the history surrounding the castle and the beauty of the gardens and parkland. It’s the perfect place in summer for a lazy Sunday!
And my favorite place on the Gold Coast Australia would have to be Greenmount beach! In fact all beaches in Australia, they are so beautiful.

How do you find the time to create and still take care of your other responsibilites?
I have a ‘to do list’ which is never ending it helps me to keep organized and know what needs to be done and by when. I am also very lucky that my little boy is a big sleeper, at the moment he is still having 2 naps a day, so when he sleeps I get the house work done, dinner ready and then sit down and create until he wakes!

When did you start creating?
I have been creating since I was a little girl, I remember when I was about 5 making a “time machine’ from a cardboard box the washing machine came in, it had a door, windows and I even made curtains!

Where do you create?
The dining room table seems to be the space I have taken over at the moment. I also like to sit out in the garden to stuff and sew up the toys!
What is your favorite place to sell your items?
I love to sell in person, I find it much more rewarding to see people getting excited about what I have made.

--If you'd like to read more about Samantha's life and work, check out her blog. In addition to Etsy, she also sells on MadeIt.

No comments:

Post a Comment