Friday, August 1, 2008

Where We Create: Behind the Scenes of NC Triangle Etsiers

Welcome to Where We Create. This week is the space of Karen's Soaps.



How would you describe the space in which you create? My workshop (a.k.a. the Soap Shop or the Bat Cave) is in an unfinished part of my basement. The previous owners had used the room as a workshop, so I got lucky. It already had counter space, cabinets, a peg-board, and shelving when we moved in. Since, it is an unfinished part of the house, for about 2 weeks in the Winter and 2 weeks in the Summer the elements keep me hesitant to create. Half of it is designated for all things Bath & Body. The other half is designated for sewing and any other craft of the moment.

What is your favorite thing about your space? My favorite thing about my space is that it is all mine (selfish, I know). My cat joins me most days, and she sits on a little kid-sized chair and watches me. It is an escape for me, and a place I am comfortable and happy. I have a little electric tea pot, so I drink tea and make soap. I also have a TV/DVD combo and I watch a lot of movies.

How do you keep your space organized?
Was I supposed to do that? Well, actually my mother is to thank for the organizational kick-start. I host Thanksgiving every year, and last year was the first year I was selling on-line. November was my highest sales month, and Thanksgiving week was especially busy. So Thanksgiving weekend consisted of cooking, eating, a little sleep, and making soap. Who invites people for a holiday and puts them to work? I do! All weekend, my guests wrapped, labeled, and put together orders. My mom was frustrated with my layout, and after the holidays, we stripped the room and re-organized everything. Now the soap is all on one side of the room, instead of all over. We brought in a 6 foot table with chairs and that doubles as a soap packaging area, and a place to cut out sewing patterns. We also brought in some shelving to house all the completed bars of soap, perfectly organized by scent and color in plastic bins. I do spend a lot of time trying to keep it nice and neat.

Do you have inspiration pieces in your space? If so, what are they? I have a world map. I mark each state and country that I sell to. It is fun to track where my soap goes.

Is there something else you'd like to share about your space? As much as I love my Soap Shop, I think my husband loves it more. When we lived in our last house, I literally had soap supplies in every room of the house. He hated opening the kitchen cabinet and finding a block of Aloe soap base, or finding soap molds in the bathtub.

Check out Karen's soaps at her Etsy Store, Karen's Soaps.

3 comments:

  1. No wonder you can make so many fabulous soaps--you've got an awesome craft room to go along with your creative talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is one fantastic craft room. I'm putting it on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little did Karen know, but I was going to steal her craft room when we were there for the meeting. Lucky for her, it wouldn't fit in my car.

    ReplyDelete