Monday, October 27, 2008

Featured Seller: Allover Art

Who are you?
Ruth Jones, the owner and artist of
Allover Art.

Where are you located?
Holly Springs, NC

What do you create?
I create fine art oil paintings on canvas. The majority of my paintings are commissioned custom works.


What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?
I have two; I can't choose just one! :) My two favorite places to visit are
Harris Lake County Park in New Hill and Carolina Pines Dog Park in Raleigh. Both places are relaxing and we can let our dog Kasey run free and happy without her leash.

When did you start creating?
In high school I took a generic visual arts class and discovered that I had a natural talent for art and painting. I continued to paint in my spare time while I studied Art History at Rutgers University in New Jersey. I would have liked to study Art instead, but it was a very time-consuming major and the majority of my time was dedicated to swimming. After college I continued to paint on my own and teach myself new techniques. It wasn't until February of 2008 that I decided to officially turn my love of painting into a business.


Why did you choose your medium?
I chose oil paint because it allows me to show great detail. I've found that oil paint enables me to create the most accurate representation of my subjects and generate the greatest satisfaction from my clients. I have been at a few shows where people have exclaimed that they thought my painting was a photograph. Oil paint satisfies the perfectionist in me.


What is your next project going to be?
My next project, or projects, will be working on Christmas commissions. I have already completed a few custom paintings for clients to give as Christmas gifts, and I have more lined up.


Where do you create?
I work from my studio in our home that my husband and I share with our dog Kasey in Holly Springs.


What is you most popular item that you create?
The most popular item that I create is the custom pet portrait. My business actually began with a former coworker asking me to paint a portrait of his pets for him to give to his wife for Christmas. Ever since then I have had numerous requests for custom pet portraits, whether it's to construct a Christmas gift for someone or to memorialize a pet who is no longer with us. I think that my pet portraits are popular because my clients see their pets as members of their families and want a way to recognize that relationship, as well as to honor the loyalty and love that their pets have for them.

--To see more of Ruth's work and read more about her life, check out her personal
website and her blog.

2 comments: