Monday, November 3, 2008

Featured Seller: 3squares

Who are you?
Jean Cameron of
3 squares.

Why did you choose your shop name?
I have a busy husband and an 11-year old daughter who I am always encouraging (OK, nagging) to eat better. I love to cook when I can, but a lot of times we all have to fend for ourselves. Our goal is to get in 3 square meals each day. And dessert occasionally, of course.

Where are you located?

In lovely Wake Forest

What do you create?

I make jewelry, mostly from some combination of metals. But glass, found objects and other paraphernalia find their way in occasionally.

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?
I am a sucker for bookstores. When something new interests me, I tend to read everything I can for ideas and inspiration. Sure I can find a lot of information online, but sometimes only a real book will do. I like small independent booksellers like Quail Ridge Books. But when I’ve got a free afternoon, I really love plopping down in a comfy chair at Borders with a pile of books and a hot cup of tea.

Why did you choose your medium?
Clean, architectural lines and unfussy modern designs have always attracted me. Metal allows me to create interesting pieces without adding a lot of frills. I like to play with different shapes and finishes while incorporating accents such as hardware and leather to inject a little attitude into my pieces.

What is your next project going to be?

I’m planning to experiment with etching metal. It requires special chemicals and safety precautions, so I’ve been procrastinating a bit. But now I have everything I need so no more excuses!

Where do you create?
A spare bedroom serves as my studio. Before leaving the corporate world last year, I had a pretty demanding job. I set up my studio to help me de-stress and painted everything in beach colors. In addition to jewelry supplies and tools, the room has a cozy chair, books, a half-finished crochet project and a TV. If it had a refrigerator, I’d never have to leave.

What is the most time consuming part of your craft?
I often spend the bulk of my time working after a piece is completed. Finding interesting props and the best lighting and angles for photographing takes time but I’m learning more every day. Writing copy which is informative about each piece but also ties in with my cooking theme can be time consuming as well. I hope the result is unique and memorable.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful, unique work, Jean! Off to check out your etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just looked through your amazing shop, and I predict many front pages in your future!

    ReplyDelete