Monday, March 2, 2009

Local Featured Seller: chiquisdesigns

Who are you?
My name is Amy Joiner. I have started a lampwork jewelry shop called Chiquis Designs.

Where are you located?
I work out of my home in Sanford, NC.

What do you create?
I make lampwork glass beads and jewelry.

Why did you choose your company name?
I got my company name because my boyfriend calls me Chiquis. It is a slang word that means “little one or little thing” in Spanish. It just stuck. I liked it… little one makes little beads.

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?
I love love love Ornamentea. They have really cool classes and I always find stuff I want there.

When did you start creating?
I began creating when I was a little kid. I used to paint, draw and sculpt all of the time. I even drew on the roof of my parent’s house when they were building it. I thrived in my art classes and it quickly became my favorite class in school.

I furthered it and went to college to get a BA in Fine Arts with a concentration in 3D studio art. I began doing graphic design out of college and that became my full time thing.

Then, I found glass just by accident. I took a couple classes at NC State Craft Center for lampwork bead making. I was hooked.

Last summer I attended the Penland School of Arts and Crafts, which was the most wonderful experience and inspired me to really pursue making glass beads and jewelry. I highly recommend going to Penland, it is truly a wonderful school!!!

What inspires you?
There are a number of things that inspire me. I really love other peoples art… other artist inspire me a great deal especially the ones that are making it full time and are happy!!! My animals and my friends give me inspiration to keep going. My friends give me the support I need, as artist we definitely need support from the people around us. Glass gives me inspiration in itself… I love to watch the glass just see how it will react. I enjoy the range of color glass has to work with.

What do you do when you are not creating?
When I’m not creating… I’m creating in a different way… I’m a graphic designer by day. So I’m pretty much creating of some sort all of the time. When I do have some spare time I like to hang out with my boyfriend and my animals. I like to go dancing with my friends. I also like to watch movies and shopping is always a nice thing to do when I have money.

What are your goals?
I would really love to do my beads and jewelry full time. That is the ultimate goal. I’m fairly new to this so I foresee it taking me a little while before I’m ready.
This years goal is to get my name out there… get an online presence as well as throughout the state. I also want to start doing arts and crafts shows so if you all know of any in the NC area that are good to attend please email me… I really don’t know where to start.

Thanks you for this opportunity to tell you a little bit about myself and my work. Have a great week! Please don’t hesitate to email me… I love meeting new fellow artists!

--Be sure to also check out Amy's website and blog!

1 comment: