Friday, March 20, 2009

Where We Create: Behind the Scenes of NC Triangle Etsiers

"Where We Create: Behind the Scenes of NC Triangle Etsiers" was a weekly series on our team blog in the past. With the many new faces on the team, I'm hoping that the team members (both new and old) will be willing to share their "space" (couch, kitchen, table, closet, basement, etc.) with the readers so that we will be able to keep this weekly series going.

This week we are granted a glimpse into Hillary's craft room where she creates the beautiful pieces that you'll find in
purpurin!

How would you describe the space in which you create?
My guest bedroom has been set up as a craft room. It has a desk for my sewing machine and a large table for laying out projects. My laundry closet is in that room, which makes it easy to pre-shrink fabric and iron in the same room as my sewing machine. I try to keep my crafts contained to one room.

What is your favorite thing about your space?
My favorite thing about my craft room is that it has nice natural light coming through the two windows in the afternoon. One window looks out on the forest full of pines and kudzu behind my house.

How do you keep your space organized?
My laundry closet has sheets and towels, but also has a lot of space for craft supplies. It helps that I have lots of storage boxes, drawers and shelves. The top shelves of the closet are filled with boxes of items I have already finished and my fiber and supplies. I sewed a hanging organizer for the back of a door to store circular knitting needles and odds and ends of yarn. I also have shelves and rolling carts to keep mailing envelopes, boxes and bubble wrap scraps that I could re-use. It’s also where I keep my collection of little cards to send personal notes with each item I sell on Etsy.

Do you have inspiration pieces in your space?
I have a silkscreen print of bright orange leaves hanging above my sewing desk. There are also two little framed postcards by Yoshitomo Nara, a Japanese contemporary artist.

Is there something else you'd like to share about your space?
It’s probably the most organized room of the house. I try to keep the room cleaner than any other room of the house so that I am prepared if I ever get a call to do conservation or restoration work on a painting. I have to remind myself that the space is intended to be dedicated to my “day job” as an art conservator.


--If you're a member of the NCTriangle team and like to show off the space where YOU create, let me know.



1 comment: