Monday, April 6, 2009

Local Featured Seller: Kittysartandstuff

Who are you?
Katherine (Kitty) Mecham of kittysartandstuff

Where are you located?
Cary, North Carolina

What do you create?
Cast glass jewelry, ceramic jewelry and sculptures, paintings and prints.

Where do you create?
I have a studio in Pittsboro on the Haw River.
Why did you choose your medium?
I actually work in all mediums, but I find myself moving closer to the three dimensional mediums, particularly ceramics.

What inspires you?
I am inspired by ancient work that was created in Africa. It is amazing how the people traded all over Africa and how they influenced each other. (I lived in Kenya for six months and taught at Kenyatta University where I learned a lot about African Art History.)
What is the most time consuming part of your art?
It takes about 8 hours to fire the glass and a total of four days to fire the ceramics.

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?
The Carnivore Preservation Trust. I love the big cats; I could just sit and look at them forever. It is a perfect place to do some “wildlife” drawing. It is also such a great cause and they are doing a wonderful job providing for the animals.
What do you do when you are not creating?
I work at Meredith College in Raleigh as the Ceramic Assistant. It is very hard labor but I am learning a lot.

You can find out more about Kitty on her website, Liquidambarstudio

No comments:

Post a Comment