Monday, April 13, 2009

Local Featured Seller: LuluSandbar

Who are you?
My name is Laura Kasperlik and my shop name is Lulu’s Sandbar

Why did you choose your shop name?
Two reasons - I grew up in close proximity to Lake Michigan and when I was young, my parents would only let me swim solo out to the sandbar, because the water is significantly deeper beyond the sandbar. So this store represents my efforts to challenge myself beyond limitations. Also, I get bored easily, so the ‘bar’ represents the eclectic nature of my interests – belly up to the bar, as they say, to see what collage cocktail I’ve mixed up today!
Where are you located?
I live in Cary, NC

What do you create?
I create mixed-media collages, shadowboxes and artwork with paper, fabric, paints, chalks and canvas

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?
One of my favorite areas to visit is downtown Apex. There are great stores and restaurants there, and while Apex is booming, the downtown has retained a wonderful cozy storefront plan.

When did you start creating?
I’ve been noodling around with different paints and papers since childhood, but have only been creating with a purpose since July 2008.

What inspires you?
Color! Color, whimsy and vintage fabrics, papers, fonts and styles. I love blending and building layers of colors and textiles.

Where do you create?
I’m lucky to have a large, light-filled media room in my home that is split between office space and art space.

What is your most cherished handmade item?
A needlepoint sign made by my mom that I’ve hung in every place I’ve lived since leaving home – it says, “Call your mother. She worries.” It’s simple and pretty and inspirational to me.

--Don't forget to also check out Laura's Blog too!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the writeup! So excited to be part of the team :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud to see this- she is my sisty!

    ReplyDelete