Monday, April 20, 2009

Local Featured Seller: Purpurin

Who are you?
My name is Hillary and my shop is Purpurin.

Where are you located?
I live in Durham, in the Tuscaloosa-Lakewood neighborhood.

What do you create?
On Etsy, I sell fiber arts such as handspun yarn, hand knit items, needle felted jewelry, and handmade clothing and accessories. In the past I have created a lot of other things like jewelry, bound books, prints and watercolors.

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?
I love going to the Scrap Exchange. It’s nice to go on a weekday and hear school groups of kids in the back. When you hear kids talking and all the sounds, it reminds you how fun and chaotic the creative process can be.

When did you start creating?
I started creating things as a kid. I taught myself to knit when I was in college. I started hand spinning yarn while I lived in Canada. I would go to Lettuce Knit in Toronto. It was really inspiring to have my local yarn store be filled with such talented people as Stephanie Pearl McPhee also known as The Yarn Harlot, Amy Singer of Knitty.com, and all the other designers, knitters, spinners and creative women there.

Why did you choose your shop name?
I chose the name Purpurin for my Etsy shop because it’s a madder color used in natural pigments and dyes. It’s red or yellow. I studied chemistry and I tend to be a science geek about dyes and fibers. I learned about purpurin and other madder dyes in my master’s degree in art conservation. I love color. It’s probably why hand spinning is so appealing to me.

Do you have any advice to share on how you have made your business grow?
I believe Etsy business grows by hearts. I have a goal of gaining one new person who hearts me each day. I try to gain hearts by chatting and being in forums, being willing to barter and trade, and really treating Etsy as a community to meet other crafty people.

What are your goals?
Since I relocated to Durham a few months ago, my personal goal is to work in a “real job” in a museum by 2010. My business goal is to do something creative every day. Whatever creative thing I do in my day helps me stay positive and feel productive after months of being unemployed and searching for a job.

What do you do when you are not creating?
When I am not creating, I like to be outdoors in the garden. After living in a tiny apartment in a big city, it’s really exciting to have a big yard and room to grow food and herbs. I also like biking, which is lucky for me because I don’t own a car. It’s nice to live in Durham where it’s not too far to walk or bike to the grocery store or post office.

1 comment: