Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Etsy Around the World: RandomQuirks

This week the Etsy Around the World features takes us across the pond to visit with a young artist in the United Kingdom. Her jewelry will likely bring back childhood memories of playing with Barbie!





Who are you?
I’m Diane, 21 years old and my shop is called
Random Quirks

Where are you located?
I live in Manchester, in the UK

What do you create?
I create fun, nostalgic jewellery out of plastic kids toys like Barbie

Have you ever visited North Carolina?
I’ve only been to the airport in Charlotte when I had a connecting flight a couple of times, but it was a really memorable airport. It was just after Christmas last year so all the decorations were up, like a Santa in an airplane hanging from the ceiling. I also thought the rocking chairs in the terminal were pretty neat.

What is your favorite place to visit in your hometown?
I don’t really have a hometown because I used to move a lot so I’ll do Manchester since I’ve been there for 3 years and never felt more at home. My favourite place to visit is Oldham Street, which is full of vintage and quirky shops, including
Affleck’s Palace, which is a huge building full of indie businesses. You could spend a whole day there - I love it.

What inspires you?
New supplies, I just love browsing places offline and online for new bits and pieces that I can turn into jewellery. I also get random ideas for new products at night when I’m trying to sleep. I have to keep a notebook by my bed now.

Why did you choose your shop name?
The name just came to me a couple of years ago. Random and quirky are my favourite words and they also describe me, so it was perfect.

What online activities have brought you the most noticeable success?
My shop views have soared thanks to setting up a Twitter account. No direct sales from it yet but I’m still fairly new to it and having fun exploring.

What are your goals?
My main business goal is to one day have my own bricks and mortar shop where I can sell mine and other indie artist’s unique work and promote handmade items. And personal, who knows? - hopefully to get a job and just be happy

What do you do when you are not creating?
I’m just about to start a Masters in fashion marketing so that’s going to keep me quite occupied. I also like to hang out with my friends, read and live at the cinema. I can’t get bored in Manchester.

--See more artwork from Diane in her ToastRack Etsy shop. You can also find her on Twitter and read more on her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment