Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Featured Local Seller: Bohemian Earth

Who are you? Jameela from Bohemian Earth

Where are you located? I live in Carrboro, NC

What do you create? I create earrings, necklaces, and bracelets.

Amethyst, Naga Pendant, & Vintage Lucite Necklace Inspired by Thai Water Lilies by Bohemian Earth on EtsyWhat is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"? I'll have to give one outside and inside favorite triangle place. My favorite outside place in the Triangle is probably the Bolin Creek/Battle Branch Trail in Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I love being in nature and there is plenty to look at and enjoy in the forest along the trail. One of my favorite inside places is the Ackland Art Museum on UNC Chapel Hill's campus. There is always an amazing exhibit or three and I see something new and beautiful each time I visit.

When did you start creating? I've been making earrings and the occasional necklace since I was a young teen. I began making things for my Etsy shop this spring.

What is your most cherished handmade item? About six years ago, I made a pair of earrings with light green jade, rutilated quartz, and matte hematite stones. There is something about the way the colors combine that create an instant sense of calm. I still love wearing them!


Fireworks Earrings: Statement Making Vintage Lucite Earrings by bohemianearth on etsyWhat/who inspires you? I have been inspired by many artists and authors to create things of beauty through actions and words. Frida Kahlo, Gustav Klimt, Toni Morrison, Julia Kristeva, St. Hildegard von Bingen, and Tamara de Lempicka are a few of the people who have inspired me greatly.

Where do you create? I usually create things in the small space in front of my computer desk. I spread all my materials out on the floor and just start crafting! This always confuses my dog, as he tries to get as close to what I'm doing as he can without stepping on anything. The glint of pliers and the sounds of my tackle box opening (where I store many items) peak his interest.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/78619117/green-empress-bracelet-green-cinnabar from Bohemian Earth on etsy
Why did you choose your shop/company name? I chose my shop name, Bohemian Earth, for a few reasons. One, because I love the Earth and its gifts of minerals, metals, and other materials I use in jewelry making. Two, because I think the word, bohemian, captures my spirit and the feel of what I like to wear and create. I love a large variety of styles from many cultures near, far, eastern, and western. I love the extravagant as much as the minimal and everything in between. So the word, bohemian, and its many associations from Gypsies to artists to peoples of mixed heritages seemed perfect for what I set out to embrace and create.

What do you do when you are not creating? When I am not creating jewelry, I'm spending time with my husband and dog, I'm working out or in Yoga or Nia dance class, or I'm working towards my PhD in English by reading, writing, or lesson planning.

So after you've visited Jameela in her etsy shop, do take a peek at her blog, facebook page, and twitter!

Team members who want to be featured on the blog, please contact ShoreDebris.

1 comment:

  1. congratulations! you are a beautiful spirit and your work is equally marvelous. xo

    ReplyDelete