Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Local Featured Seller: Golden Circle Designs

Who are you?  I'm Romilly Mueller, and I run Golden Circle Designs

Where are you located?  Fuquay-Varina, NC

What do you create?  Cross stitch and embroidery classes and patterns, as well as accessories like scissor fobs and chatelaines, and some finished embroidered goods.

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?  Oh so many! Right now, though I'd have to say Full Steam Brewery in Durham, specifically on the last Tuesday of every other Month (May, July, September, etc.) for their "Undulation Nouveau"  open mic. It's a lot of fun, good microbrew (I'm told, since I can't drink beer much) and a couple hours of fun local bellydance.
Beginning Cross Stitch Kit
 When did you start creating?  I can't remember a time I didn't create. Mom made Christmas ornaments for everyone every year, and I picked that up. I started designing cross stitch in college when I couldn't find the designs I wanted to stitch in the stores.

What is your most cherished handmade item?  The set of painted wooden Christmas ornaments that my mother and I made when I was about 4. We had just moved to Arizona, and the boxes with the tree decorations hadn't arrived in time for Christmas. I painted a purple dog, which I still have, and there is a camel and a teddy bear in what remains of the set. It's a reminder of really good times with my mother, who passed on when I was 18.

Why did you choose your medium?  I'm not really sure. I started stitching when I was very young, and after a break took it up again in college. I also paint and draw, but things don't come out as well for me in those mediums as in thread! Maybe it's just in my blood. My great grandmother was an amazing embroiderer, and I'm lucky to have several tea cloths she embroidered.
Beginning Embroidery Tea Towel Kit
 Where do you create?  I create anywhere I go. From the local Stick Boy Bakery to my home studio in a spare bedroom (currently torn up to fix an insulation problem...) I always have a needle and thread or at least a pencil and paper on hand!

What are your goals?  I'm ready to shift my income from technical writing to designing and creating art full time. What I really love to do is share my love of the needlearts by teaching others how to do it. Stitching can be a inexpensive and relaxing way to unwind (it can also be an extremely fussy and expensive hobby! the nice thing is it's up to the stitcher which way it goes!)
Dream of Alhambra Cross Stitch Chart
What do you do when you are not creating?  When I'm not creating I'm usually writing something, which is a type of creation in itself. I started out as a technical writer, and I still write software manuals now and again on contract for small companies. 

After you've browsed Golden Circle Designs on etsy, don't forget to swing by the Golden Circle Designs facebook page, twitter page, blog and website!

NCTriangle Team members who'd like to be featured, please contact ShoreDebris.

No comments:

Post a Comment