Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Local Featured Seller: Nittywitter

Who are you?  I'm Nancy Riemer and my shop is Nittywitter

Where are you located?   Cary, NC

What do you create?  I make handmade purses and totes, primarily using home decorating and upholstery fabrics and often using upcycled purse hardware. I also repurpose items with sentimental value on a custom basis. Recently, thanks to having two new grandchildren in the past year, I've added some baby items that the new parents have found to be very helpful.

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?
  I'm fairly new to the Triangle, having moved here only three years ago, but am delighted with the vibrant music and dance community. We attend many Pine Cone concerts and loved getting more familiar with downtown Raleigh last fall during the IBMA World of Bluegrass events.
The Weekender Tote
   What is your most cherished handmade item?  I treasure a Christmas tree decoration that my brother Bobby made from an index card using colored pencils. The ornament is a three dimensional cozy brick home with a cellophane window which opens to a view of a room with a tiny Christmas tree. He wasn't a kid, but a young man when he made it. It's special because he does not consider himself to be creative, but he joined in a family ornament exchange and spent hours carefully crafting an ornament for each sibling and our parents. I've had the fragile little house for more than 30 years now and each year place it back in its own special box.

What inspires you?  I'm inspired to solve problems, so I love design challenges. The current challenge is to design a tote for a women who lives in an assisted living facility. She carries a tote whenever she leaves her room. The bag must be lightweight, but hold a seat cushion, her magnifier, large special glasses, plus an assortment of food containers and letter-writing items. And, of course, it must be washable and pretty!

The creative community of Etsy and other artisans also inspires me. The Postman's Knock and 37Days are blogs I particularly enjoy.

Zippered Cosmetic Pouch
 Where do you create?  My studio is a bonus room room over our garage with a view to a small lake. My "thinking and planning" chair is a Canadian glider set near the window. Very inspirational!
I sew on a Pfaff machine and recently added a basic serger to my toolbox. My husband is helping me design a new layout for the room and will build a substantial set of shelves this spring.

Why did you choose your shop name?  Nittywitter came from my username on Ravelry. My son Ben thought it would be fun to be called Witty Knitter, but that was already taken, so we played around and landed on Nittywitter. Even though I don't sell many knitted pieces on Etsy, I like the name because it's playful and makes me think of Ben.

What are your goals?  I have many personal goals! This year I'm learning to play guitar and plan to master the art of making pants that fit well. Imagine all the extra time for creating if I never have to shop for pants again!

As for Nittywitter, I want to focus on more custom pieces, repeat orders, and repurposing beloved pieces of clothing or linens.
Custom Beach Bag
What do you do when you are not creating?  I have a small organic garden with raised beds for vegetables and also enjoy growing perennials in the yard. My husband and I love to contra dance, canoe, and spend time with grandchildren. Our local granddaughters love to hang out in the studio, so it seems like creative time weaves in and out through the days.

We hope you've enjoyed meeting Nancy!  Swing by her shop Nittywitter and say, "Hi!"


NCTriangle Team members who would like to be featured, please contact ShoreDebris.

No comments:

Post a Comment