Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Etsy Around the World: greygoat

Who are you?
My name's Kate and I run Grey Goat.

Where are you located?
Chester, England. It's an old Roman walled city on the Welsh border.

If you have you ever visited North Carolina, what do you remember about your trip?
I've never visited, but would love to - especially the Appalachian area. When I read Bill Bryson's A Walk In The Woods, I was ready to pack my bags and go!

What do you create?
I design and make luxe lingerie and clothing for men and women.

What is your favorite place to visit in your hometown?
Chester isn't a large city, but it is a very old one. Probably the best thing to do is walk the walls of the city - about 1-2 hours - they circle most of the central town and you can walk along the top, passing lots of interesting parts of the city - the Roman amphitheatre, the famous Eastgate clock, past the river (grab an ice cream here), the Roodee racecourse, along the canal, past the 20s Odeon cinema and the cathedral. Every building you pass has a history, from Tudor timbered boutiques to the haunted Spud-u-like with its Roman hypocaust in the basement!

Why did you choose your medium?
Fabric has a tactile quality that just can't be matched for me by anything else.
What is your next project going to be?
I have 101 projects in my head! I keep a notebook with loads of designs in, I'm aiming to introduce at least one or two every month. I would like to do more art-to-wear, and I'm working on a series of beautiful one-off dresses inspired by flowers.

What is you most popular item that you create?
Probably my Ria scarf tops. I think they work because they're simple, but each one is completely one-off - they're made from vintage scarves, so they can't be duplicated, and I match them up according to mood, colour, size and pattern and choose ribbon to match. They're a good price for a unique top and fit and suit most people.

What do you do when you are not creating?
I work full-time and dream of clothes.

--To learn more about Kate, check out her web-site.

No comments:

Post a Comment