Monday, August 11, 2008

Featured Seller: Magicouture

Who are you?
Olivia Helmig, Magicouture

Where are you located?
I live and do most of my work near McGee's Crossroads. My home address says "Benson," but I'm not really close to Benson at all. So it's confusing. Can we just say Clayton? Smithfield? All of the above?

What do you create?
A mess. And jewelry.

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?
Downtown, Tir na nOg Irish pub. It's become a "place" for my husband and me. Whenever we go downtown, no matter what our plans actually are, we always end up at Tir na nOg. I blame/credit the beer cheese soup. We also really enjoy "Laugh Out Loud." Who knew Clayton had a comedy club? It DOES! And it's fun.

When did you start creating?
I've been creating for as long as I can remember. No exaggeration. One of my earliest memories is that of being four years old and "painting" furiously in a paint-with-water book. After I'd finished the entire book, I tore out the pages, put them in my little red wagon, and carted them door to door through my neighborhood. I sold them for a dime each. When I was in high school, I made hair barrettes out of broken LPs and puffy paint. (It was the late 80s, ok?) I can't imagine not creating - it's what I've always done.

What is your next project going to be?
I'm working on my Spring 09 pieces for people and pets. I'm trying to get a catalog out by September so I am really pushing myself. I had wanted to do a series based on popular conspiracy theories - I had a necklace all planned out called "The Grassy Knoll" - but I don't know if I'm going to get to it before I have to start concentrating on holiday themes. I might save it for next Summer.

What inspires you?
The mad bastard children of science and art. I'm enthralled by cosmology - how the universe, if seen from a distance, is a matrix. Then I get stuck on the term "matrix" when working with gemstones and get lost in thoughts of the universe. My geekiness is infinite.

What is your favorite place to sell your items?
I'm a web dweller. It's the perfect venue for me because I'm lousy with crowds. I'm really making an effort to be a little braver and try to get my work out into a few brick and mortar shops. There's the catalog project that I mentioned. There is also a possibility of putting my pet jewelry in a kennel or two in time for the holidays, so we'll see. I'm also trying to arrange a trunk show or two before the holidays arrive. I'm still building up to that.

What do you do when you are not creating?
I am "Mommy" to a four-year-old girl, a two-year-old cat, and a rowdy 8 month old miniature dachshund, so I stay fairly busy. I have fibromyalgia which means that my work can really wear my body down very quickly. When I'm not creating, I am often doing as little as possible while still attending to the needs of my household. I also volunteer at my daughter's school from September through May. I prepare the art lessons for the preschoolers, sit with the kindergarteners and first graders during lunch, and last year I did an art workshop with the middle school classes. Next year, I'll be working with the students as a drama coach throughout the year. I'm looking forward to that a lot, too. I'm also addicted to Squidbillies, the Harry Potter book series, anime, and coffee. I'm not sure what that says about me...

--If you'd like to read more from Olivia, she also has MySpace and a blog. Her work can also be spotted on designspotter.com

2 comments:

  1. You take such great photos of your jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin - I've definitely come a long way! My first photos on Etsy were horrid!

    ReplyDelete