Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Local Featured Seller: The Far Pavilion

Who are you?  My name is Anjuli Johnson - my shop name is The Far Pavilion.  I go by Anjuli usually, sometimes AJ for those who don't want to try pronouncing it.  :)  
 
Where are you located?  I live and work in Raleigh, NC
 
What do you create?  I create original Mixed Media pieces using a variety of different elements, acrylic, oil, paper, paper clay, polymer clay, metal, and I am continuing to find elements I'd like to work with. 
 
What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?  I love to visit The Duke Gardens with my husband.  Not only is it beautiful and peaceful but it is where we went on our first date and it's been a special place for me ever since.
Hot Mess, an original mixed media canvas
 When did you start creating?  I've been scrapbooking for 13 years, but I really began with Mixed Media in the last year. 
 
Why did you choose your medium?  I chose mixed media because I love experimenting with different elements to see how they react.  I love learning new techniques, and I can't draw at all, so working abstractly was a no-brainer.  :)
 
Where do you create?   Where I create is a bit of a space constraint.  My husband and I are newlyweds and living in our first apartment, a tiny one bedroom with so little space that my husband blocks the TV when he sits at his computer.  It is furnished with the cheapest stuff we could find on craigslist and from friends.  I have taken over our front room, and my art supplies are strewn over a desk, a table, the walls, and the floor.  I try to go through and organize it once in a while, but I just don't have the space right now.  So our front room is a continual explosion of random art supplies and clutter.
Steampunk Universe, mixed media
 What are your goals? My goals right now are promoting my blog and my etsy shop, and learning all I can about the business side of making a living from my art.  It's been an amazing process, one that constantly challenges me and pushes me to overcome my fears.  I feel like I need to learn faster though, because another goal is for when my husband and I have children, I want to be able to stay at home with them, and yet still be contributing to the household income.  I would love for my art to fill that slot, since I'll be creating it anyway with or without children.  :)
4 Block Series, mixed media canvas
What do you do when you are not creating?  When I'm not creating, I'm working, reading, trying to keep up with errands and keeping our place clean, trying to stay fit and exercise a little (this is always the first priority to get cut... sigh...) and spending time with my husband.   Oh, and sleeping.  I love to sleep... :)
 
So after you've found this fabulous mixed media art on etsy, don't forget to swing by The Far Pavilion blog, facebook page, and website, too!
 
NCTriangle Team members who'd like to be featured, please contact ShoreDebris.

No comments:

Post a Comment