Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Local Featured Seller: Dandelions and Ladybugs

Who are you? Amanda Hall; Dandelions and Ladybugs

Where are you located? Clayton, NC

What do you create? A lot! My shop has hair accessories, knit items, crocheted items, and handmade stitch markers, but I'm currently transitioning to a focus on hand knit and crocheted items, knitting stitch markers, and knitting patterns.

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"? Oh, this is a tough question, lots of fun places around here! For average day trips the Farmer's market is always fun. My boys also love when we can get in trips to Pullen Park, the Museum of Natural Science downtown or Marbles. I'm also a fan of a trip to any of the great local yarn stores- Great Yarns, Downtown Knits and Warm n' Fuzzy.
Swarovski Crystal Rainbow Stitch Markers
 When did you start creating? I don't even know! I've always enjoyed doing crafts and my mom is the same way. She always had projects and crafts going for us when we were kids. My Oma (grandmother) taught me to crochet when I was 8 and then taught me knitting about 3 years ago.

What is your most cherished handmade item? I actually have a few. I have a blanket my great-grandmother crocheted for me. I also have blankets that my Oma crocheted for my boys and my uncle cross-stitched each boy a blanket as well. Our Christmas tree decorations also include handmade ornaments from my great-grandmother. Apparently crafting runs in my genes!

Why did you choose your medium? I just love fiber. When I pick up yarn and needles it just makes me happy. That's a good reason to love a medium I believe.

I started the stitch markers because I had the tools from jewelry making ventures and I needed stitch markers. My friends started asking about them and then placing orders. It too is a very fun creative process to me, but in a different way than working with fiber and I love the finished result...pretty stitch markers decorating my knitting as I work makes me smile, and my customers tell me the same thing!

My hair accessories section...well making hair bows is fun! They are cute and colorful. I even use some of my products like my hair ties myself :)
Newborn Owl Hat
  Where do you create? Everywhere...sometimes to my poor husband's dismay, lol. My yarn crafts are moved from room to room in our house, as I try to sneak in time to work on them all day. My other crafts are largely completed at the kitchen table...but I have been known to take over the living room as I watch a movie and craft.

Why did you choose your shop name? My son actually. One of his favorite activities when I was working on a name was going out to pick dandelions for me and hunt for ladybugs. My husband suggested it and I liked the idea of associating my shop with an enjoyment of the beauty available to us in the every day things.

What are your goals? I would love for my Etsy shop to generate enough income to replace a part-time job. I'm working towards that goal on a daily basis!
Lace Brim Beret
What do you do when you are not creating? Spending time with my two boys and my husband. They are my favorite people in the world. 

Don't forget after finding Dandelions and Ladybugs on etsy, you can stay up to date with the faceook page and find Amanda Hall's current and upcoming patterns on ravelry!

NCTriangle Team members who'd like to be featured, please contact ShoreDebris.

No comments:

Post a Comment