Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Local Featured Seller: Iron Vines

 Who are you?  Matt Snyder of Iron Vines.

Where are you located?  Pittsboro NC

What do you create?  I make custom nature inspired furniture and lighting from metal. Most of the work is very vine and branch like. I also make tables that use antique stained glass.

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?   I like hiking at Eno River with my wife and our dog. It is good exercise and helps me come up with new ideas.
Fire Grate
 When did you start creating?  I started making things from Legos when I was 3 or 4 years old. Over time I migrated to garage to make huge messes and strange projects. In high school I took metal shop and found my preferred medium.

What is your most cherished handmade item?  That would have to be the coffee table I made for my wife. It is metal and antique stained glass. I made it a year and a half ago. It is very sturdy and heavy we sometimes leash the dog to it and the table doesn't budge. The stained glass in it was salvaged from a home remodel in the UK. It is a beautiful art deco piece.

Why did you choose your medium?  I choose metal because I like the freedom and versatility it gives me. It is very strong and mostly forgiving. I have worked in ceramics, glass, wood and plastic and I always come back to metal because I have so many more options with it.
Musical Instrument Stand
 What inspires you?  I'm inspired by forms in nature. I look at root structures, branches, electron microscopic images of diatoms and mathematical symmetry in nature.

Where do you create?  I live and work in a small house on stilts with a tiny shop area under the house. It is just enough room to do my work. It is out on a back road next to a creek in a forest outside of Pittsboro NC.

Why did you choose your shop name?  I wanted to reference both the natural inspiration of my work and the medium I work in.
Candle Holder, 3 inch Pillar Candles
What are your goals?  I would like to have a self sustaining business doing both online sales and selling at craft shows with occasional custom orders.

What do you do when you are not creating?  I like being out in nature with my wife and our dog. I also like to fix things around the house and do automotive repair but only when what I do works and doesn't make a bigger problem.

Don't forget to swing by and check out all of Matt's beautiful Iron Vines for sale!


NCTriangle Team members who'd like to be featured, please contact Shore Debris.

No comments:

Post a Comment