Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Local Featured Seller: 8PM Beauty

Who are you?  Cheryl Brown, Shop name: 8PM Beauty

Where are you located?  I live and create in Cary, NC

What do you create?  Soaps, lip balms, body butters, and moisturizers

What is your favorite place to visit in the "triangle"?  My favorite place to visit is Cary Downtown Farmers Market. I love the atmosphere and the amazing variety of veggies, crafts, and baked goods that can be found there!

"Soap while in the mold" When a customer purchases a bar of soap, they only see the design in that particular bar. Here is how I get to see it. To me, it’s one big piece of art.
When did you start creating?  I started making soap about 4 years ago. I found that commercial soap was causing me some skin problems. My skin was dry, flaky, and just not at its best. That’s when I started to learn how to make soap and I found that those problems I had quickly went away.

What is your most cherished handmade item?  The most cherished handmade item I own would be the beautiful quilt on my bed made by my mom.

What inspires you?  I find inspiration not so much from what I see, instead I concern myself with how what I see makes me feel. The majority of my soaps are not named by how they smell, they are named by a feeling the scent gives. For example there's a soap on the product line scented with plumeria. Naming it "Plumeria" would have been an easy option, but I think this limits the experience for the customers. So instead of naming it "Plumeria" it is named "Sprung On Spring" so that when a customer picks it up, reads the name on the back, and smells it, it allows them to reflect on their own memories of Spring. Those might be memories of childhood, playing outside with friends, special occasions with family, etc. It's about capturing a feeling, an emotion, or a memory. And it's there with those feelings, emotions, and memories that I find inspiration.
 
Eve's Garden Handmade Cold Process Soap
  Where do you create?  I create in my apartment, more specifically, the kitchen.

Why did you choose your shop name?  I realize people often wonder why I chose the name 8PM Beauty. I was trying to think of a time of day (or night) when most women are doing something beauty related. It happened that 8PM stuck out to me. It seems that’s a time we’re getting into a bubble bath or shower, washing our make up off, or even getting ready for a night out on the town.

What are your goals?   I think every shop owner on Etsy wants to grow their business and increase recognition of their brand, the same is true at 8PM Beauty. But going beyond that, I’d like to help educate the public about skin care. I’ve met some health conscious people who are careful about what they put in their bodies, but not as careful about what they put on their bodies. Knowing what’s in the products you put on your skin can really make a difference in your appearance.
 
"Temptation."  September's Soap of the Month.  Only available to Soap of the Month Subscribers.

What do you do when you are not creating?  I’m not sure I ever stop creating! Even when I’m at my full time job, I keep a small notebook with me to write down ideas for new products, giveaways, etc. But in my off time I enjoy spending time with my family, friends, and my dog. 

After visiting 8PM Beauty on etsy, don't forget to like the 8PM Beauty Facebook Page and follow 8PM Beauty on Twitter!

NCTriangle Members who'd like to be featured, please contact Shore Debris.

No comments:

Post a Comment